The grade 4 classes at our elementary school were treated to a field trip aboard the Atlantis Submarine last week!
|The Atlantis Submarine (photo courtesy Pride of Maui)|
My son LOVED the adventure. The highlights of the tour were:
– feeling the change in altitude when sinking to a depth of 116 ft below sea level
– seeing the spotted eagle ray in nature (as opposed to the aquarium)
– checking out the ‘shipwreck’ (a boat anchored to the ocean floor in 1995 to create an artificial reef)
– learning how things look with diminished light when you are so far under the surface (did you know the edges of your teeth look orange?)
– seeing goat fish and learning about corral
– watching the Atlantis’ tug boat
|imaginations run wild when you get to see an old sunken ship!|
For him, the best part was experiencing the submarine shooting out from the water, it was a huge thrill.
The Atlantis Submarine is anchored off-shore at Lahaina Harbor. You take a shuttle-boat from dock and board the submarine using a ramp.