I am regularly asked for recommendations, what my Maui favorites are. Of course, with Covid many things have changed, so this list is in flux. Also, for restaurants – call and make reservations! Some take reservations on Open Table, others do not.
Cara’s breakfast Maui favorites
- Beach Street (Former S&Q Shave Ice stand)
- Cafe @ La Plague
- Maui Bread Co (we like to walk to this bakery – go early, it’s small and they sell out)
- Kihei Caffe This place is hugely popular for their big portions. Honestly, I wouldn’t stand in those crazy lines (mainly in full sun) for breakfast. But if there is no line, I’d go! Note: they have finally opened their Lahaina location for those staying on the West side!
Cara’s favorite restaurants
- Gannons – my absolute favorite, recently reopened for happy hour and dinner. Having said that, my favorite is lunch/happy hour. The view and ambiance is amazing
- 5 Palms on Keawakapu beach – any time of day, but perfect for oceanfront sunset dining
- Maui Brewing Company – for lunch and dinner. They also offer tours of their award-winning facility
- Nalus – they have finally reopened after a long closure during Covid. I dream of their ahi club
- Cafe o Lei on South Kihei Road – one of the most reasonable lunch menus
- Ami Ami (at the Maui Coast Hotel) for breakfast/dinner. They also serve food poolside – no, non-hotel guests may not use the pool, but they often have live music and it’s an easy casual atmosphere with younger kids
- Cuatro Restaurant – we haven’t been for a few years. Small restaurant, their ahi nachos are so good
- Eskimo Candy – they have the best poke bowl on island (disclaimer, that is all I eat here)
- Pint & Cork – when we went a few weeks ago, they were not taking reservations, just first come first serve
- while not a restaurant, Island Market @ Shops at Wailea has a very nice take-out/deli section for picnics
non Kihei special mentions
- Tin Roof (pre-order your take-out on their website). The mochiko chicken is amazing
- Cafe o Lei at the Mill House (this is at the Maui Tropical Plantation, former Mill House restaurant site)
best grocery stores
- Safeway (use your Safeway card, or the one in the condo. If you can’t find it, use my phone number for the Safeway deals 808-281-7934)
- Hawaiian Moons – natural/organic grocery store with a take-out section
- Foodland – best poke selection, hands-down
Cara’s Maui favorites – these are the ones that really count
I’ve mentioned I love dessert and treats, right?
- Ululani’s – hands down best shave ice on island
- Maui Gelato – have you tried their local flavors like lilikoi (passion fruit) or mango
- Fabianis – love their desert display case. The lilikoi meringue is a definite favorite
- Hula Cookies – they make icecream sandwiches with your choice of their cookies and Roselani icecream. So good.
- Komodas – home made malasadas, donuts etc. Arrive early (like between 7-8am) for best selection, or pre-order for later pick-up.