When I travel I love to buy local coffee. Did you know, on Maui you can buy both locally grown but also locally roasted coffee?
Where do you buy your coffee? Are you a Starbucks lover? Do you to brew your own?
I have to admit…. I’m a bit cheap when it comes to coffee. Sorta. I am happy to spend money on quality coffee beans, but I prefer to brew my coffee at home rather than go to the coffee shop. I drink my coffee black, so for me coffee shops don’t add much value. Unless they sell dessert. Then I’m sold.
Where to buy Maui roasted (and grown) coffees
- MauiGrown Coffee ~ one of my favorite places to buy Maui coffee. This place is located in Lahaina under the smoke stack. This is NOT on Front Street. Rather, when driving into Lahaina on the bypass, take the Lahainaluna Road exit (to the left), drive down the mountain and you will see it, next to the smoke stack on the right at 277 Lahainaluna Road.
- Maui ‘Oma Coffee ~ located at the beautiful Maui Tropical Plantation they share the main store with Kumu Farms. They supply a lot of local restaurants with coffee. There is a coffee bar on the outside right of the main building. I wrote about Maui ‘Oma and the tropical plantation here.
- Olinda Organic Farms ~ they won best coffee for the state and county at the 2021 Hawaii Cupping Competition last year. They currently sell at two upcountry farmer’s markets ~ Wednesdays at Po’okela Church and every other Saturday at the Upcountry Farmer’s Market. Definitely worth checking out!
- Kula Botanical Garden ~ shout out to this place which had so much storm damage after the early December storm that also caused so much flood damage in North Kihei. They grow the coffee grown at the highest elevation in the United States. And per their website they have reopened their gardens, so do check them out!
Where to get your cup of local coffee
If you are more of a coffee-to-go person, may I suggest these local Starbucks alternatives
- Akamai Coffee ~ three locations, Kihei, Wailea and a drive-thru in the Kahului Home Depot parking lot. They also sell three varieties of their own branded Maui beans.
- Java Cafe ~ located in Kihei’s Azeka Plaza near the original Coconut’s .
- Kracken Coffee ~ these are coffee/food trucks. The Kihei one is in the Azeka food truck court behind Azeka Plaza (there are some awesome food trucks there!). I’ve seen one across from Costco (Kahului) also. I’m actually not sure if they sell locally grown coffee, but it is a locally owned business so that counts for something, right?
What coffee makers do we have in our condos
At Maui Oceanview Condos we currently have drip-coffee Cuisinart coffee makers. They take #4 cone filters, tho most (if not all) have the gold mesh filters (so you don’t need the paper filters). Guests at our Kamaole Sands condo purchased and left a one cup Keurig in the condo (it sits there in addition to the Cuisinart). I have a love-hate relationship with Keurig coffee makers. I appreciate the consistency they provide, but at the same time…. I hate the trash they generate and that you can’t get most local coffee in k-cups.
The condos are also outfitted with a coffee grinder.